Saturday, July 27, 2013

I was an infinitely hot and dense point

Mark Leyner: My cousin, My gastroenterologist

You're in for a fun ride. In this absurd futuristic book, Leyner's imagination knows no limits and depicts a ridiculous world where you can drink growth hormone cocktails, where mosquitoes bite pricks and where you can just blow up your car by turning the key in the ignition, and then calling a tow truck to have it fixed. You see? It makes no sense. Well imagine 17 chapters of unconnected stories unraveling one after the other in a complete disorder. Of course, the gastroenterologist makes appearances, but very rarely. Leyner has no concern whatsoever for punctuation nor for logic, for that matter. His ideas just float around in the space of his book, defying gravity and what a normal book should look like (and convey). I actually found myself laughing out loud at the insanity of it all. And what's up with fighting Walid Jumblatt's militiamen with kung fu? That must make a lot of Lebanese crack up, I know I did. So if you like roller coasters, this is for you, cause you will never know what's coming up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment